Fort Raymond (1)
Fort Raymond (1) (1807-1813) - Established by Manuel Lisa and a party of 50+ men in mid November 1807 as a fur trading post for the Missouri Fur Company. Named after Manuel Lisa's infant son. Abandoned by March 1813. Also known as Fort Manuel (3), Fort Manuel Lisa (2), Fort Remon, Fort Lisa (2), Lisa's Post and Big Horn Post (2).
Fort Raymond (1) History
The fort consisted of a square blockhouse, the lower part of which was a room for furs: the upper part was inhabited by Mr. Reuben Lewis (Meriwether Lewis's brother) and some of the hunters belonging to the establishment. There were some small outhouses, and the whole was surrounded by a palisade, about fifteen feet high.
Some confusion exists over the naming of the forts created by Manuel Lisa and his company, exact locations are unknown for some of them and this has led to further confusion. The forts and their locations are detailed below: