Fort Manuel (1)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Manuel (1) (1812-1813) - Established in 1812 by Manuel Lisa as a fur trading post for the Missouri Fur Company in present day Sioux County, South Dakota. Abandoned by March 1813.

Fort Manuel (1) History

The buildings at Fort Manuel (1) were enclosed by a quadrilatral stockade of upright posts set in a shallow trench, and was reinforced by circular bastions in two corners that also were composed of upright posts. Circular bastions are not recorded for any other post on the upper Missouri. The fort was abandoned by March 1813.

Current Status

The site of Fort Manuel (1) was excavated before it was destroyed by wave action of Lake Oahe, and the work revealed details of its construction that might have a bearing on Lisa's first post, Fort Raymond in present day Montana. The fort was at the high water point of the reservoir. State markers are on the road.

Some confusion exists over the naming of the forts created by Manuel Lisa and his company, exact locations are unknown for some of them and this has led to further confusion. The forts and their locations are detailed below:

Manuel Lisa's Fur Trading Posts
Primary Name Dates State Location AKA Names
Fort Manuel (1) 1812-1813 South Dakota Under Lake Oahe
  • None
Cedar Island Post 1811-18?? South Dakota Under Lake Francis Case
  • None
Fort Manuel Lisa (1) 1809-1813 North Dakota Under Garrison Dam project
Fort Raymond (1) 1810-1811 Montana
Fort Henry (1) 1810-1811 Montana 3 Forks
Fort Lisa (3) 1805-1809 Nebraska
Fort Henry (2) 1810-1811 Idaho Henry's fork of the Snake River

Location: 30 miles north of Mobridge, to the east of Kenel, Sioux County, South Dakota

Maps & Images

Lat: 45.89444 Long: -100.45861



Visited: No

Fort Manuel (1) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools

Google AdSense