Battery 155 - Long Point
Battery 155 - Long Point (1941-1943) - Battery 155 - Long Point was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts located on Long Point Military Reservation, Long Point, Los Angeles County, California. This Battery was supported from Fort MacArthur. Battery construction started in December 1941, was completed in March 1942 and officially transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 15 May 1943 at a cost of $ 8,207.81. Deactivated in 1943 when Battery 240 was activated.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
In the opening days of World War II in December 1941, Battery B of the 3rd U.S. Coast Artillery moved two 155mm GPF M1918 guns from the upper reservation gun park at Fort MacArthur to emplacements at Long Point Military Reservation. These guns were placed in temporary field emplacements right on Long Point and were later replaced by two Panama mounts. The Panama mounts were completed by the end of March 1942 and the guns were emplaced there until Battery 240 was completed and proof fired in November 1943. The emplacements were located on the north side of Long Point below the 1930s fire control stations and Battery 240. Troop barracks were located beteen the road and the gun battery.
No period guns or carriages in place. Panama mounts destroyed, no evidence of the Battery or the troop barracks. The new Terranea Discovery Trail goes right by the site of the troop barracks and the Battery.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 7 Jan 2013