Battery 240 (1942-1948) - A World War II era 6" gun battery built in 1942-43 as a reinforced concrete coastal artillery battery on Point Vicente Military Reservation, a sub post of Fort MacArthur, in Los Angeles County, California. The Battery was turned over for service in 1943 at a cost of $219,000. Renamed Battery Barnes in G.O. 1, January 1948, after Colonel Harry C. Barnes, U.S. Army, CAC. Battery decommissioned late in 1948.
World War II (1941-1945)Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903A2 rapid fire guns mounted on M1 Shielded Barbette Carriages (SBC) placed on either side of an earth covered reinforced concrete magazine and support structure. Power was supplied by internal generators and commercial power. The guns were proof fired 25 Oct 1943.
The battery was decommissioned in 1948.
Owned by the US Coast Guard who uses it as a radio beacon and aid to navigation. No period guns or carriages in place.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 5 Oct 2014, 4 Jan 2013