Long Point Military Reservation
Long Point Military Reservation (1930-1944) - An Coastal Military Reservation first established in 1930 above Long Point and Point Vincente in the present day city of Rancho Palos Verdes, Los Angeles County, California. A sub-post of Fort MacArthur. Abandoned in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
The Long Point Military Reservation was initially acquired in 1930 to house six fire control stations for the large caliber guns at Fort MacArthur. The initial site was a small hillside reservation overlooking the Pacific Ocean at Long Point. The fire control stations were rectangular reinforced concrete structures built into a steep hillside. These fire control stations still remain in place.
World War II (1941-1945)
In the opening days of World War II, Battery B of the 3rd U.S. Coast Artillery moved two 155mm GPF guns from the upper reservation gun park at Fort MacArthur to emplacements at Long Point Military Reservation. These were temporary field emplacements that were later replaced by two Panama mounts. The Panama mounts were completed by the end of March 1942 and the guns were emplaced there until Battery 240 was completed and proof fired in 1943. The emplacements were located on the north side of Long Point below the 1930s fire control stations.
The lease on the reservation was terminated on 6 Oct 1944.
No remains of the 155mm gun emplacements.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 4 Jan 2013