|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Sherman (1878-1900) - A Federal post first established as Camp Coeur d'Alene on 16 Apr 1878 by Ltc. Henry Clay Merriam, 2nd U.S. Infantry. Named Fort Coeur d'Alene on 5 Apr 1879 and Fort Sherman in G.O. 30, 6 Apr 1887, after General William T. Sherman. Abandoned in 1900.
Fort Sherman History
Established 16 Apr 1878 to protect settlers from hostile Indian attacks. The post was located on the north shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene where the Spokane river exits the lake. The fort was ordered closed on 5 Mar 1900 and was actually abandoned in September 1900.
Two restored buildings on the North Idaho College campus, including a restored officer's quarters and the original magazine which is now the museum. A third restored building, the chapel, is located just before the campus entrance.
In 2012, the Fort Sherman Powder Magazine lease by the Museum of North Idaho was terminated and returned to use by North Idaho College. It underwent an extensive renovation and now serves as a student study area as well as housing exhibits featuring The Coeur d’Alene Tribe, Fort Sherman and North Idaho College. The grounds now feature an impressive Veterans Memorial as well.
The Powder Magazine is open from April through October, M-S 7am to 7pm and closed on Sunday.
Location: North Idaho College, Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai County, Idaho.
Maps & Images
Lat: 47.677265 Long: -116.797607
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 254
Visited: 14 May 2010
Fort Sherman Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!