Fort Sherman (1)
Fort Sherman (1) (1878-1900) - A Federal post first established as Camp Coeur d'Alene on 16 Apr 1878 by Ltc. Henry Clay Merriam, 2nd U.S. Infantry. Named Fort Coeur d'Alene on 5 Apr 1879 and Fort Sherman in G.O. 30, 6 Apr 1887, after General William T. Sherman. Abandoned in 1900.
Established 16 Apr 1878 to protect settlers from hostile Indian attacks. The post was located on the north shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene where the Spokane river exits the lake. The fort was ordered closed on 5 Mar 1900 and was actually abandoned in September 1900.
Two restored buildings on the North Idaho College campus, including a restored officer's quarters and the original magazine which is now the museum. A third restored building, the chapel, is located just before the campus entrance.
In 2012, the Fort Sherman Powder Magazine lease was terminated by the Museum of North Idaho and returned to use by North Idaho College. The magazine underwent an extensive renovation and now serves as a student study area as well as housing exhibits featuring the Coeur d’Alene Tribe, Fort Sherman and North Idaho College. The grounds now feature an impressive Veterans Memorial as well.
The Powder Magazine is open from April through October, M-S 7am to 7pm and closed on Sunday.
Visited: 14 May 2010