Fort Sherman (2)
Fort Sherman (2) (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War fort established in 1863 in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Named after either General Francis T. Sherman or General William T. Sherman, (Cullum 1022). Abandoned as a fortification in 1865 at the end of the war.
Fort Sherman History
Built as a large earthworks fortification overlooking the approaches to Chattanooga, Tennessee. The fort encompassed an entire line of fortifications from Redoubt Bushnell in the north to Lunette O'Meara in the center to Redoubt Putnam at the western end, all connected and fortified. The works had 20 foot-high earthen walls, with a wide and deep ditch surrounding.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1865 at the end of the war. The site was leveled about 1880 and developed as residences.
No remains.Small marker(s) found for a part of the Fort Sherman line.
Visited: 28 Apr 2016