Fort Jackson (5)
Fort Jackson (5) History
Four trading posts were established along a 15 mile stretch of the South Platte River in present day Weld County. The four posts were competitors for the same furs trapped by both Indians and anglo fur trappers. The primary furs involved were buffalo hides.
These four posts were located roughly midway between Bents Old Fort on the Arkansas River and Fort William (1834-1845) at the junction of the Laramie River and the North Platte River (later known as Fort Laramie).
In 1838 the post was purchased by Ceran St. Vrain and he operated it for only one season before he abandoned the post.
Private property, Weld County, Colorado. Map point may not be accurate.