Fort St Vrain
Fort St Vrain (1837-1844) - An adobe fur trading post established in 1837 by Colonel Ceran St. Vrain and William Bent as partners in "Bent, St. Vrain & Company". Located near the confluence of the South Platt River and St Vrain Creek in Weld County, Colorado. Abandoned in 1844. Also known as Fort Lookout (5) and Fort George (8).
Fort St Vrain History
This adobe trading post was built in 1837 by Colonel Ceran St. Vrain and William Bent as partners in "Bent, St. Vrain & Company". The was modeled after Bents Old Fort but smaller. The adobe walls were 2 feet thick and 14 foot high and the post was 127 feet long by 106 feet wide. Two circular bastions were located on opposing corners and the interior rooms lined two walls. The post was located approximately midway between Bents Old Fort and Fort Laramie.
1911 DAR marker only in Weld County, Colorado.
Visited: 29 Sep 2011