Fort Vasquez History
In operation the post was run by Louis Vasquez, Andrew Sublette transported the trade goods and furs to and from St. Louis. It took as many 22 employees to run the post and the trading/trapping operations. The operation was not a financial success because of the competition in the immediate vicinity.
Four trading posts were established along a 15 mile stretch of the South Platte River in present day Weld County. The four posts were competitors for the same furs trapped by both Indians and anglo fur trappers. The primary furs involved were buffalo hides.
These four posts were located roughly midway between Bents Old Fort on the Arkansas River and Fort William (1834-1845) at the junction of the Laramie River and the North Platte River (later known as Fort Laramie).
In 1840 Fort Vasquez shipped 700 buffalo robes to St. Louis compared to the 15,000 that the Bent, St. Vrain & Company shipped. The fort was sold for $800 in 1840 to two traders who subsequently abandoned the post in 1842 without paying Vasquez and Sublette.
Part of the Colorado Historical Society museum system, Weld County, Colorado. Includes a museum, a WPA reproduction of the old fort and a monumental bronze statue of a bison. The fort reproduction has a walled outline of the fort's exterior walls but no interior details.
Visited: 29 Sep 2011