Fort Flagler (1897-1953) - An Endicott Period coastal fort established in 1897 and activated on 27 Jul 1899. Named in G.O. 138, 27 Jul 1899, after Brig. Gen. Daniel Webster Flagler, Chief of Ordnance, U.S. Army, who died on 29 March 1899. Located on Marrowstone Point, Jefferson County, Washington. The fort was closed 7 Jun 1953.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound. Fort Flagler, along with Fort Worden and Fort Casey (1), guarded the entrance to Puget Sound. These posts, established in the late 1890's, became the first line of a fortification system designed to prevent a hostile fleet from reaching the Bremerton Naval Yard and the cities of Seattle, Tacoma and Everett.
Fort Flagler was originally constructed with three coastal gun batteries, Battery Revere, Battery Wilhelm and Battery Rawlins. The contract for the construction of these original gun batteries was awarded 22 Jun 1897, to the Pacific Bridge Company, Portland, Oregon. The batteries were completed in 1899 but not accepted for service until 17 Aug 1902. Two additional batteries, Battery Bankhead and Battery Lee were completed in 1900 and 1902 respectively and they were also accepted for service on 17 Aug 1902.
Initial construction of barracks and support facilities (12 buildings total) was complete in June 1899 and the Post was activated 27 Jul 1899. The first garrison was a detachment of 86 Enlisted men and three Officers from Battery B, 3rd U.S. Coastal Artillery, commanded by Capt. John D.C. Hoskins (Cullum 2255). Fort Flagler was made Headquarters of the Harbor Defense Command of Puget Sound because Fort Worden did not yet have permanent facilities complete. On 4 Sep 1904 the headquarters of the Harbor Defense Command of Puget Sound was transferred from Fort Flagler to Fort Worden.
Four additional batteries, Battery Grattan, Battery Calwell, Battery Downes and Battery Wansboro were completed in 1905-1906 and all were accepted for service on 23 Apr 1907. Total cost just to build the batteries themselves (excluding the guns and carriages) was about $ 460,000.
At the end of the Korean War Fort Flagler was deactivated, 7 Jun 1953. The property was purchased by the State of Washington as a state park in 1955.
A part of Fort Flagler State Park, Jefferson County, Washington. Period guns and carriages installed in Battery Wansboro.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 26 Aug 2015, 18 Jun 2009, 19 Jul 2008