Battery Wansboro (1907-1945) - Battery Wansboro is a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 3- inch gun battery on Fort Flagler, Washington. Named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after 2nd Lt. Thomas A. Wansboro, 7th U.S. Infantry, who was killed in action 1 Jul 1898 at El Caney, Cuba, during the Spanish-American War. Battery construction started in 1903, was completed in 1905 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 23 Apr 1907 at a cost of $ 14,000. Abandoned in 1946.
The battery consisted of two, 3” M1903 guns on M1903 pedestal mount carriages, with two supporting magazines and a center storeroom. In October of 1945 both guns and carriages were declared obsolete and in March of 1946, both guns and their carriages were processed for salvage.
A part of Fort Flagler State Park, Jefferson County, Washington. The battery is accessible to the public with period guns on display. After Fort Flagler was purchased as a state park, two 3” M1903 guns and carriages were brought over from Fort Wint in the Philippines and installed for display. The battery’s magazines have 155mm powder canisters (empty) in racks on display behind mesh barriers.
Visited: 5 October 2009
Battery Wansboro Picture Gallery