Battery Lee (1907-1918) - Battery Lee is a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 5 inch gun battery on Fort Flagler, Washington. Named in G.O. 16, 14 Feb 1902, after Lt. Walter Hatch Lee, U.S. Corps of Engineers, who served in the 1st Battalion of Engineers in the Philippine Operations of 1901, and died from wounds 10 Jun 1901. Battery construction started in 1899, was completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 17 Aug 1902 at a cost of $ 15,500. Deactivated in 1918.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 5" M1897 guns mounted on M1896 balanced pillar mounts. This is a two story battery with the guns mounted on the upper level and two magazines on the lower level in an earth covered structure between the two guns. No powder or shell hoists provided. Electrical power for lighting provided by the central power plant and commercial power.
Guns and carriages were transferred to Grays Harbor Defense, WA (March 31, 1919)
A part of Fort Flagler State Park, Jefferson County, Washington. The Battery is accessible to the public and the rooms are clean and dry but empty. No guns or carriages are in place.
Visited: 28 Sept 2009