Battery Revere (1902-1941) - Battery Paul Revere is a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 10 inch gun battery on Fort Flagler, Washington. The battery was named after Bvt. Brig. Gen Paul Joseph Revere, U.S. Civil War, who died of wounds in the Battle of Gettysburg on July 4, 1863. Battery construction started in 1897, was completed in 1899 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 17 Aug 1902 at a cost of $ 60,000. Guns and Carriages shipped to Canada in 1941
Part of the Harbor Defense of Puget Sound.
Battery Rawlins, Battery Revere and Battery Wilhelm were built starting in 1897 and completed 1899 as a single large unnamed battery with four 10" and two 12" rifles, all Barbette mounted. The large Battery was initially named Battery Wilhelm in 1902 when it was accepted for service and administrative separated into three batteries in 1906. The part that became Battery Rawlins was originally armed with two 10" M1888MII rifles mounted on M1893 Barbette carriages. The part that became Battery Revere was armed similarly to Battery Rawlins. Battery Wilhelm became the middle battery armed with two 12" M1888MII rifles mounted on M1897 Altered Gun Lift Carriages.
Guns and Carriages shipped to Canada 12 May 1941
A part of Fort Flagler State Park, Jefferson County, Washington. The Battery is accessible to the public and the rooms are clean and dry but empty. No guns or carriages are in place.
Visited: 12 Oct 2009
Battery Revere Picture Gallery