Fort Emory (1942-1950) - Established as a World War II sub post of Fort Rosecrans in San Diego County, California. Named in G.O. 67, 14 Dec 1942, for Brigadier General William H. Emory, USA (Cullum 642). Deactivated 31 Jan 1947, declared surplus 1 Mar 1948 and transferred to the Navy in 1950. Now an active Navy installation.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Diego. Established during World War II to house two fixed coastal gun batteries, one with two 16" guns and one with two 6" guns. A temporary 155mm four gun battery was emplaced along the shore during the construction of the main batteries. A 90mm AMTB battery was also emplaced to provide protection against small fast motor torpedo boats and aircraft attacks. The 16" battery construction was terminated before it was completed as the war drew to a close. It was never armed. The 6" gun battery was completed in 1943 and accepted for service in 1946 after the war was over.
Active U.S. Navy facility. No public access. The two fixed batteries and the PSR bunker have been repurposed by the Navy and are in use. All of the other World War II buildings have been removed. A cold war elephant cage intercept antenna is in place but scheduled for removal.
Visited: 3 Oct 2014