Battery 239 (1943-1946) - A World War II era Battery built in 1942-43 as a reinforced concrete coastal artillery battery on Fort Emory, San Diego County, California. Named Battery Grant in G.O. 69, 22 Dec 1942, for Colonel Homer Blackie Grant, CAC, USA. Construction began 5 Jun 1942 and was completed 8 Dec 1943. The Battery was turned over for service 25 Apr 1944 at a cost of $218,851.95. Decommissioned in 1946.
Battery 239 History
Battery 239 was a battery of two, 6" rapid fire Barbette mounted guns on either side of an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure designed to protect the entrance to San Diego Harbor. Decommissioned in 1946.
Active military facility. The battery has been repurposed for other military uses. No public access. No period guns or carriages in place.
Visited: 3 Oct 2014