Battery Hudson (1899-1942) - Battery Hudson was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Wadsworth (1), Richmond County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 43, 4 Apr 1900, after the old old earth battery in which it is located. Battery construction started in 1898, was completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 18 Aug 1900 at a cost of $ 99,463.06. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Southern New York.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 12" M1888 guns mounted on M1896 disappearing carriages. This battery underwent several changes in configuration and armament over its lifespan. Earliest records (1903) show it with two M1888MII guns and two M1896 carriages. In December 1909, it is shown with one M1888MII gun and one M1895 gun.
This was a two story battery with the guns mounted on the upper level and the magazines on the lower level. Two Hodges back delivery shell hoists moved the shells from the magazine level to the gun loading platform. The Hodges shell hoists were later replaced with two Taylor-Raymond electric shell hoists and the hoists were modified for the newer long point shells.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. In 1918 the M1895 gun was sent to Watervliet for service overseas and it was replaced with an M1888MII gun from Fort Armistead (1), Battery Winchester.
This battery was ordered salvaged 12 Nov 1942. Both guns were ordered salvaged 1 Jul 1944 and both carriages were ordered salvaged 4 Nov 1942.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 15 Aug 2010