Battery Winchester (1900-1918) - Battery Winchester was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period gun battery located on Fort Armistead (1), Maryland. The Battery was named for Brig. Gen. James Winchester. Battery construction started in 1897, was completed in 1899 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 5 Jan 1900 at a total cost of $140,383.10 (total cost includes Battery McFarland). Deactivated in 1918.
Battery Winchester History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Baltimore.
Battery Winchester was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 12" gun battery with one M1888MII 12" gun mounted on an LF M1896 carriage. The gun was shipped to Fort Wadsworth 26 Jul 1918 and the carriage was scrapped 12 Mar 1923.
No period guns or carriages in place. Battery in good physical shape but covered with grafitti. Not well cared for.
Battery Winchester Picture Gallery