Battery Bluff (1937-1945) - Battery Bluff was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort Funston, San Francisco County, California. Initial construction started in 1937 and was complete in 1938. Erosion of the initial site caused the battery to be moved to more stable ground. Construction on the new site started 29 Dec 1941, was completed 18 Feb 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 19 Jul 1943 at a cost of $ 13,904.71. Deactivated in 1945.
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built in 1937 as a temporary coastal gun battery with four 155mm M1918MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1918MI mobile carriages emplaced on fixed circular Panama mounts. The concrete Panama mounts were located close to the edge of a cliff about 1200' north of Battery Davis (2) to defend to defend that battery. Over time, erosion threatened the Panama mounts and the battery was moved to a different location at the south edge of the reservation. Traces of the original Panama mounts can now be seen at the base of the cliff, in the surf. No traces of the second location can be found.
The guns and carriages were ordered scrapped in November 1945.
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No period guns or mounts in place, the remains of three original Panama mounts can be seen in the surf at the base of the cliff.
Visited: 24 Aug 2009