Battery Davis (2)
Battery Davis (2) (1940-1948) - Battery Richmond P. Davis was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch casemated coastal gun battery on Fort Funston, San Francisco County, California. The battery was named after Major General Richmond P. Davis. Battery construction started in November 1936, was completed 1 May 1940 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 21 Sep 1940 at a cost of $ 670,356.49. Deactivated in 1948.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built as a pre World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" casemated guns mounted on M1919MI Barbette carriages. Both guns were Navy manufactured MarkII-M1 models and were originally designated for the battlecruiser U.S.S. Saratoga. The Washington Treaty of 1922 stopped construction of the battlecruiser and the gun tubes were repurposed for coastal defense. The 21 Sep 1940 Report of Completed Works for Battery Davis lists these guns as model M1919 but it is more likely that they retained the MarkII-M1 designation.
This was a single level battery with the two casemented guns separated by earth covered concrete magazines. The central traverse housed the two casemated guns, two magazines, storerooms and a power room. A separate Plotting-Switchboard room was located approximately 700 feet northeast of gun emplacement #1. Twenty five 1-1/2 ton hand powered hoists were used to convey shells from the magazines to the gun loading platforms. An internal power plant provided electrical power for the battery. Electric motors were used to elevate and traverse the guns into firing position. Electric motor powered rammers loaded the shells into the guns.
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 24 Aug 2009