Battery 155 - Fort Pickens
Battery 155 - Fort Pickens (1942-1942) - Battery 155 - Fort Pickens was a reinforced concrete, World War II 155mm inch coastal gun battery on Fort Pickens, Escambia County, Florida. Battery construction started 27 Jul 1942, was completed 18 Sep 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 26 Oct 1942 at a cost of $ 26,652.25. Deactivated 5 Apr 1945.
World War II (1941-1945)
This battery was built as four circular Panama mounts, two in front of Battery Cooper and one on each side of Battery Cooper. The Battery Cooper structure was used and modified as a support structure for Battery 155 - Fort Pickens.
Starting in 1937 four circular concrete pads were planned around Battery Cooper to mount 155mm GPF M1918 guns on mobile M1918 carriages in fixed positions. These four gun positions were designated Battery 155 - Fort Pickens and remained in operation from 26 Oct 1942 until 5 Apr 1945. The Battery Cooper facilities were used for ammunition storage and support facilities. In 1942 generator #1 at Battery Pensacola was removed and reinstalled in Battery Cooper to support the four 155mm GPF guns. A separate 6 commode latrine was built and the B.C. Station was remodeled.
No period guns or carriages in place. All of the Panama mounts are exposed from their original sand foundations but remain in relatively good shape.
Visited: 25 Apr 2013, 30 Dec 2011, 16 Dec 2009
Battery 155 - Fort Pickens Picture Gallery