Yuma Quartermaster Depot
Yuma Quartermaster Depot (1864-1883) - First established in 1864 to supply frontier posts in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Utah. Located the city of Yuma in Yuma County, Arizona. Abandoned in 1880.
Yuma Quartermaster Depot History
The Yuma Quartermaster Depot was established in 1864 to maintain supplies for frontier posts in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and Utah. Supplies were shipped from California up through the Gulf of California, transferred to steamboats and transported up the Colorado to the depot at Yuma. From Yuma the supplies were packed to frontier posts in five states. The corrals and stables at the Yuma depot housed up to 900 army mules. The post maintained a six month supply of ammunition food and other supplies needed at the outlying posts and regularly distributed the supplies. In 1867 the depot burned down but it was quickly rebuilt.
In 1877 the Southern Pacific tracks from Los Angeles crossed the Colorado River at Yuma and on 20 Mar 1880 the first Southern Pacific train reached Tucson, Arizona. The quartermaster at Yuma closed the depot and moved the operation to Fort Lowell (1) in Tucson.
Some federal functions on the depot continued after the quartermaster left including the Signal Corps (1875-1891) and the Weather Service (1891-1949).
Now part of Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park. Five historic buildings remain including the Commanding Officer's Quarters, a Storehouse, the Corral House and the Office of the Depot Quartermaster,