Fort Lowell (1)
Fort Lowell (1) (1862-1891) - First established as Post of Tucson 20 May 1862 by Lt.Colonel Joseph R. West, 1st California Volunteer Infantry, in the city of Tucson. Renamed Camp Lowell in 1866. Designated Fort Lowell 5 Apr 1879 after Brigadier General Charles R. Lowell, who was mortally wounded at Cedar Creek, Virginia, 20 Oct 1864. Abandoned 10 Apr 1891.
Fort Lowell (1) History
Fort Lowell was a supply depot for the U.S. Army in southern Arizona and a base of operations against hostile Apache Indians between 1873 and 1891. The post was moved several times, moved to the current location 19 Mar 1873.
Tucson City Park, some original buildings and ruins, museum.
Location: Fort Lowell City Park, 2900 N. Craycroft Rd., Tucson, Pima County, AZ 85712
Maps & Images
Lat: 32.2600756 Long: -110.8739776
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 14
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 42
Visited: 30 Oct 2009
Fort Lowell (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!