James Allen (1806-1846) - Born 15 Feb 1806 in Ohio. A career U.S. Army officer and engineer and United States Military Academy graduate who served in the Mexican War. Died on active duty 23 Aug 1846 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
He entered the United States Military Academy 1 Jul 1825 and graduated 1 Jul 1829 in the Class of 1829 ranking 35th out of 46.
During the Mexican War he helped organize and served as the commander of the Mormon Battalion until his death 23 Aug 1846 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. He is buried in the Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery, plot A-OFF, 289. He was the first officer interred in the cemetery.
Father: James Allen (1770-?)
Mother: Jane Heathwood (1780-?)
- No known children but one adopted daughter.
- (1825-1829) Cadet, United States Military Academy
- (1829-1833) 2nd Lt. (1 Jul 1829), 5th U.S. Infantry, Fort Brady (2), Michigan
- (1833-1834) 1st U.S. Dragoons, Fort Dearborn (3), Illinois
- (1834-1836) 1st Lt. (31 May 1835) 1st U.S. Dragoons, On Engineering Duties
- (1837-1842) Capt. (30 Jun 1837) 1st U.S. Dragoons, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
- (1842-1843) Capt. 1st U.S. Dragoons, Fort Gibson (1), Indian Territory; Fort Atkinson (3), Iowa; Fort Sanford, Iowa
- (1843-1846) Capt. 1st U.S. Dragoons, Fort Des Moines (2), Iowa
- (1846-1846) Lt. Col. Mormon Battalion, on march to New Mexico during Mexican War
- (23 Aug 1846) died on march to New Mexico
- Height: .....
- Build: .....
- Hair Color: .....
- Eye Color: .....