Fort Sanford (1842-1843) - A U.S. Army post established in 1842 by Captain James Allen, 1st U.S. Dragoons, in Wapello County, Iowa. The post was built on the site of a Pierre Chouteau, Jr. & Company trading post. Named for John Sanford, son-in‑law of Pierre Chouteau and partner in the Company. Abandoned in 1843. Also known as Post at Sac and Fox Indian Agency.
Fort Sanford History
Established in October 1842 by Captain James Allen, 1st U.S. Dragoons with troops from Fort Atkinson. The post occupied eight borrowed cabins on the site of an Pierre Chouteau, Jr. & Company trading post. They built additional quarters for the officers and stables for the horses. The post was located on the east bank of the Des Moines River about a quarter mile north of Garrison Rock in Wapello County, Iowa.
The post was initially named for the Pierre Chouteau, Jr. & Company partner, John Sanford, who provided the site and the eight cabins for the post. The War Department later renamed the fort as Post at Sac and Fox Indian Agency.
As the Sac and Fox Indian tribes were moved from the area the need for the fort declined and it was abandoned in 1843.
Archeological remains near Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa.
Location: Near Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa. Map point is not accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 40.98370 Long: -92.3582
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 289
- Whittaker, William E., Ed., Frontier Forts of Iowa: Indians Traders and Soldiers, 1682-1862, University of Iowa Press, Iowa City, 2009, ISBN 978-1-58729-831-8, 287 pages, page 179-184
- The Opening of the Des Moines Valley to Settlement, in The Iowa Journal of History and Politics, 14:509‑512