Fort Des Moines (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Des Moines (2) (1843-1846) - A U.S. Army post established in 1843 as Fort Racoon by Captain James Allen, 1st U.S. Dragoons, in Polk County, Iowa. Renamed Fort Des Moines by the War Department. Abandoned in July 1846.
Fort Des Moines (2) History
Established 20 May 1843 at the junction of the Des Moines River and the Racoon River by Captain James Allen and elements of the 1st U.S. Dragoons. The post protected the Sac and Fox Indians before they were removed to Missouri. The Sac and Fox Indian Agency moved to Missouri in 1846 and the post was abandoned 12 March 1846.
Archeological site at MLK and Water Streets in Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa
Location: Site at MLK and Water Streets in Des Moines, Polk County, Iowa.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.58346 Long: -93.61783
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 285
- North American Forts - Fort Des Moines
- description of Fort Des Moines in "The Opening of the Des Moines Valley to Settlement", Iowa Journal of History & Politics, Vol. 14 No. 4 (Oct. 1916), pp520 ff.
Fort Des Moines (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!