|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Richardson (1867-1878) - A U.S. Army post stablished 26 Nov 1867 by troops of the 6th U.S. Cavalry as Fort Jacksboro. Later named Fort Richardson for Major General Israel B. Richardson who died 3 Nov 1862 of wounds received at the battle of Antietam. The post was abandoned 22 May 1778.
Fort Richardson History
A U.S. Cavalry post established to counter hostile Indian Raids. Expeditions sent from Fort Richardson arrested Indians responsible for the Warren Wagon Train Massacre in 1871 and fought Comanches in Palo Duro Canyon.
Designated Fort Richardson State Park and Historic Site. Structures include seven of the original buildings which have been restored: the post hospital; the officers' quarters; a powder magazine; a morgue; a commissary; a guardhouse; and a bakery. There are also two replicas: officers' and enlisted men's barracks. The officers' barracks houses the Interpretive Center.
Location: Northwest of Fort Worth in Jacksboro, Jack County, 228 State Park Road 61, Jacksboro, Texas 76458
Maps & Images
Lat: 33.207023 Long: -98.163099
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 158
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 165
Visited: 11 Jul 2008
Fort Richardson Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!