Fort Richardson (1)
Fort Richardson (1) (1867-1878) - A U.S. Army post stablished 26 Nov 1867 by troops of the 6th U.S. Cavalry as Fort Jacksboro. Later named Fort Richardson for Major General Israel B. Richardson (Cullum 1096) who died 3 Nov 1862 of wounds received at the battle of Antietam. The post was abandoned 22 May 1878.
Fort Richardson (1) History
A U.S. Cavalry post established to counter hostile Indian Raids. Expeditions sent from Fort Richardson arrested Indians responsible for the Warren Wagon Train Massacre in 1871 and fought Comanches in Palo Duro Canyon.
Designated Fort Richardson State Park and Historic Site. Structures include seven of the original buildings which have been restored: the post hospital; the officers' quarters; a powder magazine; a morgue; a commissary; a guardhouse; and a bakery. There are also two replicas: officers' and enlisted men's barracks. The officers' barracks houses the Interpretive Center.
Visited: 11 Jul 2008
Fort Richardson (1) Picture Gallery