Camp Warner (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Warner (2) (1867-1874) - Established by Federal troops 1 Sep 1867 who had just abandoned Camp Warner (1) and named for Bvt. Capt. William H. Warner (Cullum 851). Abandoned 2 Oct 1874. Also known as Fort Warner.
Camp Warner (2) History
The second Camp Warner was a more permanent post built with logs and room enough for 280 men. General George Crook (Cullum 1573) made it his headquarters for several months during his Indian campaign and his wife joined him there.
Several flat spots and indents from Officer’s Quarters and Enlisted Men’s barrack still remain. The rock floor from the Cavalry Stable is still visible in several areas. Other than that not much remains besides various kinds of surface debris such as square nails and assorted items of that nature.
Location: Fremont National Forest, request a map and guidance from the rangers at the headquarters at the northern edge of Lakeview, Lake County, Oregon, on US 395.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.39833 Long: -120.13639
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 137
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 152-153
Camp Warner (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!