|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Carlin (1867-1889) - First established in 1867 as Cheyenne Depot by Captain Elias B. Carling (Cullum 1834), (Bvt. Lieutenant Colonel; Colonel) to supply adjacent Fort D.A. Russell (2) and thirteen other western forts. Abandoned in 1889. Also known as Cheyenne Ordnance Depot and Camp at Cheyenne.
Camp Carlin History
Established as the second largest Depot of the time in the U.S., servicing U.S. Army posts in Wyoming, Nebraska, Utah, Idaho and Colorado. Included Camp Carlin as a cantonment for the depot also known as Camp at Cheyenne.
Abandoned in 1889 when the expansion of the railroads made Omaha a more economical supply point for the decreasing numbers of western forts.
|1878-11-01||1879-10-20||1st Lt.||Weir, William B.||2318|
|1886-09-15||1887-07-21||Capt.||Starring, William S.||2087|
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
Nothing remains except a small memorial plaza with a flagpole, DAR marker and interpretive signs.
Location: On Francis E. Warren AFB, Laramie County, Wyoming. Enclosed map area shows the approximate location of the camp.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.14355 Long: -104.845083
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 858
Visited: 7 Jun 2010