Fort Washakie (1871-1909) - Established as a relocated Camp Brown (2) in 1871 by Captain Robert A. Torrey, 1st U.S. Infantry, in the present day town of Fort Washakie, Fremont County, Wyoming. Renamed Fort Washakie 30 Dec 1878 after Shoshone Chief Washakie, father-in-law of Jim Bridger. The chief resided at Fort Washakie until his death in 1900. Permanently abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1909. Became the headquarters of the Shoshoni Indian Agency in 1913.
Established to protect the Shoshone and Bannock Indian Reservation against hostile Indian enemies of these two tribes. Relocated from Lander in Jan 1871 by Captain Robert A. Torrey, 1st U.S. Infantry. Originally built of wood and adobe, the post was rebuilt later in the 1870's with stone buildings.
Permanently abandoned by the U.S. Army on 30 Mar 1909 and became the headquarters of the Shoshoni Indian Agency in 1913.
Part of the Headquarters of the Wind River Shoshoni Indian Agency. Some military buildings remain although they are not identified as such. Building 1 is recognizable from HABS documentation as the old post chapel and library but it is roofless and mostly destroyed by a fire. Other buildings are clearly of military origins and there are others that could be.
Visited: 16 Sep 2012