Battery White (2)
Battery White (2) (1919-1942) - Battery White (2) was a reinforced concrete, Taft Period 12 inch coastal mortar battery on Fort Rosecrans, San Diego County, California. Named Battery John White in G.O. 15, 1916, after Colonel John V. White. Battery construction started 8 Nov 1915, was completed 19 Aug 1919 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 19 Aug 1919 at a cost of $ 144,200.00. Deactivated in 1942.
Originally built as a Taft Period concrete coastal mortar battery with four 12" M1890MI mortars mounted on M1896MI mortar carriages divided into two mortar pits (A-B) with two mortars in each pit (1-2).
The two mortar pits are separated in this battery. Each mortar pit had a data booth at the rear that conveyed azimuth and elevation information to the gun crews and directed the firing. The data booth was attached to the plotting room. In front of the mortar pits was a concrete magazine that stored the shells and powder. The magazine was protected by a thick covering of earth. Shells and powder were wheeled from the magazine to the mortar loading platforms on shot carts.
The mortars were obsolete at the beginning of World War II and the first major scrap drive of the war in 1942 saw them scrapped. The guns and carriages were listed for disposal 3 Nov 1942.
Active U.S.Navy installation. No period guns or mounts in place. The mortar pits have been repurposed.
Visited: 2 Oct 2014