Battery Townsley (1940-1948) - Battery Townsley is a reinforced concrete World War II 16" gun battery located on Fort Cronkhite, Marin County, California. Named after Major General Clarence P. Townsley, a World War I veteran and superintendent of the United States Military Academy. Battery construction was begun in Jan 1938, completed 1 Jul 1940 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 24 Jul 1940 at a total cost of $595,000. Deactivated in 1948 after World War II.
World War II (1941-1945)
Battery Townsley was a casemated battery with two naval MarkII-M1 16" guns mounted on long range Barbette M1919 M5 carriages, each capable of shooting a 2,100 pound, armor-piercing projectile 25 miles out to sea. The guns and their associated ammunition magazines, power rooms, and crew quarters were covered by dozens of feet of concrete and earth to protect them from air and naval attack.
The central traverse magazine, in addition to the two casemated guns, included two separate magazines. Each magazine included:
The central section of the Battery included the power room, radiator room, latrines, a shop and a storeroom.
In 1943, additional latrine facilities were installed in the main entrance to the Central Traverse Magazine and prison style bunk facilities for 150 people were installed in the corridors, storeroom and shop at a cost of $4,570.44.
A large reserve magazine was built about 2500 feet southeast of gun emplacement #1 on the reverse slope of the battery, not visible from the sea. The reserve magazine construction began June 1938, was completed 1 Jul 1940 and was accepted for service 24 Jul 1940 at a cost of $52,950.
A separate PSR (Plotting, Spotting & Radio Rooms) was built about 1,200' away from the Battery to isolate it from the concussion of the 16" guns firing. The PSR construction was accepted for service 24 Jul 1940 at a cost of $76,400. In 1943, prison style bunk facilities for thirty people were installed in the PSR at a cost of $420 and accepted for service on 16 Aug 1943.
Total cost of the Battery including the reserve magazine, PSR, BC stations and real property improvements rose to $1,007,500 by 1940.
Test firings in 1940 with live ammunition proved the range to be over 30 miles.
Part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Partly restored but without guns or carriages. On 1 Oct 2012 a surplus 16" Naval MarkVII gun tube was delivered on site for use as a display gun (pictures above & below). The external elements of the Battery, PSR and Reserve Magazine are open for self guided tours during park hours. Parts of the interior of the Battery are open to public on one day of the month. The interior of the PSR and the Reserve Magazine are not open to the public. The newly acquired 16" gun tube is displayed at the back entrance to casemate #2.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 26 Nov 2012, 19-20 Aug 2009
Battery Townsley Picture Gallery