Battery Taylor (2)
Battery Taylor (2) (1942-1943) - Battery Taylor (2) was a reinforced concrete, World War II 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Dawes, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. The battery was named after Brigadier General George Taylor, U.S. Volunteers, who died 31 Aug 1862, of wounds received in action at Bull Run, 27 Aug 1862, during the U.S. Civil War. The battery name was transferred from Battery Taylor (1) at Fort Strong (2). Battery construction started 12 Jun 1942 was completed 21 Jul 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 7 Aug 1942 at a cost of $ 7,808.00. Deactivated in 1943.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1902M1 guns mounted on M1902 Pedestal mounts. This was a single story battery with the guns located on concrete pads out in the open and a separate earth covered concrete magazine located behind gun #2. Shells were moved from the magazine to the gun platform by hand. No shell or powder hoists were provided. No electrical power was required. A C.R.F. station was located above the magazine.
Battery Taylor (2) was a part of the Harbor Defenses of Boston plan 1942-1943. It was removed from the plan and the armament placed in central storage by 26 May 1943 as its replacement, Battery AMTB 944, was being built around it. The guns and carriages were processed for salvage on 24 May 1946.
Destroyed, no period guns or mounts in place.