Fort Strong (2)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Fort Calendar Fort Blogs

Fort Strong (2) (1899-1961) - An Endicott Period Coastal Fort first established in 1899 on the site of the Battery at Long Island Head on Long Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Named Fort Strong in G.O. 134, 22 Jul 1899, after Major General George C. Strong, U.S. Volunteers, U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1961.

Fort Strong, 1905 Barracks Bldg. 11 Destroyed by Fire 10 Nov 1933
Fort Strong, 1907 NCO Duplex Quarters
Fort Strong 1911 Double Barracks

Endicott Period (1890-1910)

Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.

Fort Strong, 1907 PX-Gym

Seven Endicott Period gun batteries and a mine casemate were constructed on Fort Strong (2) between 1893 and 1906.

The post was built out as a two company, open plan, coastal fort between 1901 and 1907. The post buildings surrounded a rectangular parade with the officer quarters on the south end. The NCO quarters lined the east side and the two enlisted barracks angled off from the northeast corner. In 1911 the post was expanded to a four company post and a new double barracks (218 men) was constructed on the east side of the parade. Additional officer and NCO quarters were built accordingly. By the end of 1911 the post was virtually complete except for a bakery that was added in 1915.

Fort Strong (2) Endicott Period Batteries (edit list)
Battery
Click on Battery links below
No. Caliber Type Mount Service Years Battery Cost Notes
Battery Hitchcock 1
2
10"
10"
Disappearing
Disappearing
1893-1899-1899-1918
1893-1899-1899-1938
$ 336,633 One gun removed 1918
Battery Ward 2 10" Disappearing 1893-1899-1899-1938 Included above
Battery Drum 2 4.72" Armstrong 1898-1899-1899-1917 $ 14,737
Battery Basinger 2 3" Masking Parapet 1899-1900-1901-1946 $ 18,780
Battery Smyth 2 3" Pedestal 1903-1906-1906-1921 $ 16,000 Guns to Battery Basinger
Battery Stevens 2 3" Pedestal 1903-1906-1906-1946 $ 21,500
Battery Taylor (1) 2 3" Pedestal 1903-1906-1906-1942 $ 21,000 Guns to Battery Taylor (2)
Fort Dawes
Source: CDSG
Fort Strong 1921 Plan
Fort Strong Aerial View


World War I (1917-1918)

Fort strong expanded during World War I with the addition of several WWI temporary buildings which can still be seen on the 1921 post plan. Two temporary long barracks and a mess hall can be seen on the west side of the parade. By 1938 all of those temporary buildings are gone as is one of the permanent single company barracks. That barracks, building #11, was destroyed by fire on 10 Nov 1933 and not rebuilt.

Designated a sub-post of Fort Banks (1) after the end of the war.

A two-gun AA Battery #3 was built in 1917 and expanded to three guns in 1935. Battery Drum was deactivated in 1917 and had its guns and carriages shipped elsewhere. Battery Smyth was deactivated in 1921 and its guns were relocated to Battery Basinger. Both Battery Hitchcock and Battery Ward were deactivated in 1938.

World War II (1941-1945)

The post again expanded with temporary buildings during World War II. Three 63 man barracks, a mess hall and various support buildings brought the post capacity up to 48 officers, 7 NCOs and 516 enlisted men. Only Battery Stevens and Battery Basinger remained operational throughout World War II and no new gun batteries were constructed on Fort Strong during the war.

After the war, the post was declared surplus on 30 Sep 1947.

Cold War (1947-1991)

Fort Strong housed NIKE missile launch site B-35R in the 1950s, with the control site in Squantum and the Radar Section, 15th AAA Group (1958-1961). A target tracking radar was built in Battery Drum and only the footings remain.

Current Status

Closed to the public, obtain permission in advance of visit. Operated by The Boston Public Health Commission on Long Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.

Location: Long Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts.

Maps & Images

Lat: 42.323292 Long: -70.963864

Sources:

  • Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 411
  • U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of Boston, Massachusetts, (HDB-AN-45), 31 Jan 1945, CDSG

Links:

Visited: No

Fort Strong (2) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox