Battery Navy Guns - El Segundo
Battery Navy Guns - El Segundo (1943-1943) - Battery Navy Guns - El Segundo was a World War II 6" inch coastal gun battery at El Segundo, Los Angeles County, California. The battery operated as a sub-post of Fort MacArthur. Battery construction started July 1942, was completed in May 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 22 Sep 1943 at a cost of $ 15,243.23. Replaced by Battery 155 - El Segundo in 1944.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two Navy 6" Mark VIII guns mounted on Navy Mark X Pedestal carriages. This was a single story battery with the guns located on the same level as the magazines. The battery included two concrete gun blocks each connected to a separate underground magazine. Shells and powder were moved from the magazine to the gun loading platform by hand. No shell or powder hoists were necessary or provided. Electrical power was furnished by the commercial power company.
Battery Navy Guns - El Segundo was a part of the Harbor Defenses of Los Angeles plan in World War II until it was replaced with Battery 155 - El Segundo at the same location. The pedestal gun blocks were replaced with Panama mounts for the 155mm M1918MI guns.
Destroyed, no period guns or mounts in place. Site is now Vista Del Mar Los Angeles City Park. Map point is approximate.
Visited: 7 Jan 2013