Battery Kirby (1900-1941) - Battery Kirby is a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 12" gun battery located on Fort Baker (1), Marin County, California. Named in G.O. 16, 14 Feb 1902, after 1st. Lt. Edmund Kirby, 1st U.S. Artillery, Brig. Gen. of Volunteers, who died 28 May 1863 of wounds received at Chancellorville, Virginia, during the U.S. Civil War. Battery construction was begun in 1899, completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 5 Aug 1900 at a total cost of $70,334.18. Deactivated in 1941.
Battery Kirby History
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Battery Kirby was a concrete gun battery with two M1895 12" guns mounted on M1897 disappearing carriages. A magazine containing two shell rooms and two powder rooms was situated between the two gun emplacements. No hoists were required as the ammunition service was on the same level as the gun platform. By 1910 the carriages were modified for electric retracting motors but no traversing, elevating or depressing motors were installed. The Battery had its own power plant with two 25 KW gasoline motor generator sets. Template:Cls
Behind emplacement #2 in a separate building was a tool room and a guard room. In the back and to the right of emplacement #1 was a separate building for the latrines, one for officers and one for enlisted.
In 1910 a BC Station and a plotting room below it were added to the Battery. Cost for the plotting room modification was $ 208.48 and for the BC Station, $ 3,440.03. Both were accepted for use 5 Aug 1910.
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No period guns or carriages in place.
Visited: 20 Aug 2009
Battery Kirby Picture Gallery