Battery JAAN 2 - Long Beach
Battery JAAN 2 - Long Beach (1942-1946) - Battery JAAN 2 - Long Beach was a reinforced concrete World War II 3" gun battery operated as a sub-post of Fort MacArthur, Los Angeles County, California. The Battery was named JAAN because it was jointly manned by Army and Navy personnel, Joint Army And Navy. Battery construction started 11 Aug 1942, was completed 11 Jan 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 12 Apr 1943 at a total cost of $8,122. The two 3" guns came from the previously deactivated Battery Lodor. Deactivated in 1946.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Battery JAAN 2 - Long Beach was a World War II gun battery with 2 M1903, 3" guns mounted on M1903 Pedestal Mounts with a modified shield. The two 3" guns came from the Benicia Arsenal where they had been stored since they were removed from the deactivated Battery Lodor. The JAAN 2 Battery was deactivated in 1946.
No guns or mounts in place. Remains of the concrete mounts can still be seen. The two emplacements have been rebuilt with the original concrete bases reused but with solid concrete caps where the pedestal mounting bolts were placed. Both concrete pads are now surrounded on three sides with a stainless steel safety fence and the battery now offers a great view over the cliff. The Google map below does not yet reflect the new construction (30 Oct 2014).
Visited: 30 Oct 2014, 3 Jan 2013