|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Lodor (1916-1927) - Battery Lodor was a reinforced concrete Taft Period 3" gun battery located on Fort MacArthur, California. The Battery was named for Brigadier General Richard Lodor (Cullum 1732). Battery construction started 15 Apr 1916, was completed 31 Jul 1917 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 31 Jul 1917 at a total cost of $1,949. Guns were mounted 16 May 1917. Deactivated in 1927.
Battery Lodor History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Battery Lodor was a reinforced concrete Taft Period gun battery with four M1903 3" guns mounted on M1903 Pedestal Mounts. The guns and mounts were removed around 1927 and stored at Benicia Arsenal. The Battery was destroyed when Dead Man's Island was removed from Los Angeles Harbor. The guns were later used during World War II in the JAAN 1 and JANN 2 batteries at Long Beach.
|1||3" Rifle||170"||M1903||105||Watervliet||Pedestal Mount, M1903, #104, Watertown||1917-1927||See Note 1|
|2||3" Rifle||170"||M1903||106||Watervliet||Pedestal Mount, M1903, #105, Watertown||1917-1927||See Note 1|
|3||3" Rifle||170"||M1903||107||Watervliet||Pedestal Mount, M1903, #106, Watertown||1917-1927||See Note 1|
|4||3" Rifle||170"||M1903||108||Watervliet||Pedestal Mount, M1903, #107, Watertown||1917-1927||See Note 1|
|Source: Coast Defense Study Group, RCW Form 1 4 Apr 1919, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 74, 214|
Note 1: Guns removed about 1927 and stored at Benicia Arsenal later installed in Fort MacArthur, Batteries JAAN 1 & 2 1942
Location: Was located on Dead Man's Island in Los Angeles Harbor as a Fort MacArthur battery. Destroyed when island was removed.
Maps & Images
Lat: 33.73028 Long: -118.26889
Battery Lodor Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!