Battery Eustis (1901-1942) - Battery Eustis was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Monroe, Hampton City, Virginia. The battery was named in G.O. 105, 9 Oct 1902, after Col. Abram Eustis, who as a Ltc. of the 4th U.S. Artillery was the first commandant of the Artillery School, and who died on 27 Jun 1843, at Portland, Maine. Battery construction started 29 Mar 1898, was completed in December 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use on 3 Jan 1901 at a cost of $ 80,766.67. Deactivated in 1942.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 10" M1888MII guns mounted on M1896 disappearing carriages. This battery was a two story battery with the guns located on the upper level and the magazines located on the lower level. Two Taylor-Raymond front delivery shell hoists moved the shells from the magazine level to the gun loading platform. The gun carriages were furnished with retracting electric motors. Electric power was furnished from a power plant located in the battery.
The battery was modernized in 1908, platforms were widened and the BC Station and plotting room were built. Mechanical data transmission was installed in 1909. The shell hoist were remodeled for the newer long point artillery shells in 1914.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. Both of Battery Eustis' guns were listed for service abroad on 18 Jul 1918. They were ordered remounted as the war drew to a close in late 1918.
The guns and carriages of Battery Eustis were ordered scrapped 4 Nov 1942 as a part of the first major scrap drive of World War II. The battery structure was reclassified as a storage facility on 13 Dec 1945.
Visited: 22 Jul 2010