Battery Clinton (1902-1942) - Battery Clinton was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 12 inch coastal mortar battery on Fort H.G. Wright, Suffolk County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 30, 19 Mar 1902 after BG James Clinton, of New York (Bvt. Major General), who served with distinction in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, and who died on 22 Dec 1812. Battery construction started in November 1900, was completed in September 1902 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 24 Oct 1902 at a cost of $ 114,895.00. Deactivated in 1942.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal mortar battery with eight 12" M1890MI mortars mounted on M1896MI mortar carriages. This was a single level mortar battery divided into two mortar pits with four mortars in each pit. The magazines were located between the mortar pits and on the flank sides of the pits. Shells and powder were brought to the magazine doors by an overhead rail system and then loaded on shot carts for transport to the mortars. Electrical power could be furnished from either the Battery Butterfield power plant or the internal Battery Clinton power plant.
The carriages and mortars were mounted in August 1902.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. On 3 May 1918 Four mortars were directed to be dismounted and prepared for shipment. The four mortars were transferred to Morgan on 31 May 1918. This left each mortar pit with the two back mortars remaining. This action reduced crowding in the mortar pits and reduced the manpower requirements and did not significantly reduce the firepower of the battery.
The empty carriages were scrapped 26 May 1920.
By the beginning of World War II Battery Clinton was obsolete and the guns and carriages were scrapped in the first major scrap drive of World War II. The abandonment and salvage of armament was approved on 7 Oct 1942. The guns and carriages were ordered scrapped 12 Oct 1942.
No period guns or mounts in place.