Battery Bomford (1897-1942) - Battery Bomford was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10‑inch coastal gun battery on Fort Monroe, Hampton City, Virginia. The battery was named in G.O. 78, 25 May 1903, after Col. George Bomford (Cullum 8), Chief of Ordnance, U.S. Army, 1832, under whose direction many ingenious and valuable experiments were made on the best form of pieces for heavy ordnance, which led to the adoption of improved patterns for the U.S. service and who died 25 Mar 1848, at Boston Massachusetts. Battery construction started 1 Jul 1891, was completed in March 1897 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 19 Mar 1897 at a cost of $ 175,347.50. Deactivated in 1942.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 10" M1888MII guns mounted on M1894 disappearing carriages. This was a two story battery with the guns mounted on the upper level and two sets of magazines and shell rooms on the lower level. Two Taylor-Raymond back delivery shell hoists moved the projectiles from the magazine level to the gun loading level. The shell hoists were accepted for service 30 Jan 1905 and modified for the newer long point shells in August 1912 and March 1914. The carriages were equipped with retracting electric motors. Electric power was initially furnished from an internal power plant.
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. Both of Battery Bomford's guns were ordered dismounted for service abroad on 25 may 1918. They were ordered remounted as the war drew to a close in late 1918.
The guns and carriages of Battery Bomford were ordered scrapped 4 Nov 1942 as a part of the first major scrap drive of World War II. The battery structure was declared a storage facility 13 Dec 1945.
This battery was destroyed and replaced by a parking lot. The map point is approximate.
Visited: 22 Jul 2010