Battery 298

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Battery 298 (1943-1950) - Battery 298 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Learnard, Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska. Battery construction started 20 Aug 1942, was completed 30 Nov 1943 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 30 Nov 1943. Deactivated circa 1950.

World War II

Part of the Harbor Defense of Dutch Harbor.

Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903A2 rapid fire guns mounted on M-1 Shielded Barbette Carriages (SBC) placed on either side of an earth covered reinforced concrete magazine and support structure. Power was supplied by internal generators and commercial power.

The Battery 298 site was a part of a larger 2,542-acre site that included Battery AMTB - Eider Point Spit and the remainder of Fort Learnard. Battery 298 was locally identified as Tac Battery 4, at Location #10. The location was procured for government use on 30 Apr 1942. The cantonment area for the Battery 298 personnel was at Location #10c.

The primary radar set associated with Battery 298 was the SCR 296-A at Location 10. This set was behind the battery. The secondary set was the SCR 296-A at Location 8.


6" Gun at Fort Columbia Originally at Fort McAndrew, Battery 281, Argentia, NL, Canada
These 6" World War II coastal gun batteries were designed to replace obsolete Endicott Period Batteries. Of the 87 planned only 45 were completed and many of those were not completed until late in the war (1944-1945).

The 6" guns fired a 105 pound armor-piercing projectile with a range of over 15 miles at a rate of up to 5 rounds per minute. The gun crews were protected by a thick shield around the gun. Only six of these guns remain in the world, two at Fort Columbia in Battery 246, two at Fort Pickens in Battery 234, and two at Fort McAndrew in Battery 282 in Argentia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

6" Gun Crew

The Dutch Harbor HD Annex indicates that by 1944 the battery was authorized a Battle Allowance of 1400 complete rounds and a War Reserve allowance of 1400 complete rounds.


Battery 298 Armament (edit list)
Empl
No
Caliber
Type
Barrel
Length
Model Serial
No
Manufacturer Carriage Service
Dates
Notes
1 6" Rifle 302.9" M1903 A2 14 Watervliet Barbette, M-1, #5, Watertown 1943-1950 See note 1
2 6" Rifle 302.9" M1903 A2 10 Watervliet Barbette, M-1, #4, Watertown 1943-1950 See note 1
Source: RCW Form 1,8 Nov 1944, CDSG, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 104-105
Note 1: CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
Battery 298 Plan.


Current Status

No period guns or mounts in place.


Location: Fort Learnard, Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska.

Maps & Images

Lat: 53.96328 Long: -166.59525


GPS Locations:

See Also:

Sources:

  • U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project Harbor Defenses of Dutch Harbor, (SRHDDH), 1944, CDSG
  • Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 3rd Edition - PDF, CDSG ePress, McLean, VA, 2012, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, page 80-81, 254-256, 224
  • Denfield, Colt, Dutch Harbor Coastal Defenses, Coast Defense Study Group Journal, Volume 7, Number 1, February, 1993, page 30-36.
  • Willford, Glen M., Visitation to Alaskan WWII Coast Defense Sites, August 1997, The CDSG Newsletter, The Coast Defense Study Group, Inc., November 1997, page 2-3.

Links:

Visited: No


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Toolbox