Battery 243 (1942-1948) - A World War II era Battery built in 1942-43 as a reinforced concrete coastal artillery battery on Fort Miley, San Francisco County, California. The Battery was begun 30 Jan 1943, completed 14 Aug 1943 and turned over for service 18 Sep 1944 at a cost of $245,808. The guns were not mounted until 1948. Decommissioned late in 1948.
Battery 243 History
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Battery 243 was a battery of two, 6" rapid fire guns mounted in M4 Barbette carriages on either side of an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure. Gun tubes were provided from Battery 245, Fort Stevens in 1947. Decommissioned in 1948.
Battery 243 is easily accessible from the trail leading up to Battery Chester. Gun emplacement #2 is also accessible from the Department of Veterans Affairs San Francisco Medical Center via a restricted road. Emplacement #1 can be accessed via a path around the front of the battery. As the pictures show gun emplacement #2 is well kept up, emplacement #1 has some overgrowth but is still recognizable. No period guns or carriages in place.
. Visited: 23 Aug 2009
Battery 243 Picture Gallery