Battery 233 (1944-194?) - Battery 233 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort McRee, Escambia County, Florida. Battery construction started 1 Apr 1943, was completed 15 Oct 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 5 Jun 1944 at a cost of $ 284,498.83. Deactivated in 194?.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Pensacola.
Originally planned as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" T2-M1 rapid fire guns mounted on M4 Shielded Barbette Carriages (SBC) placed on either side of an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure. The Battery was completed in 1943 and transferred for service in June 1944 with the carriages mounted but without the gun tubes in place. The gun tubes did not arrive and the Battery was deactivated without ever being armed.
In 1944 a 50' combined B.C. Station and 15' C.R.F. Station was built on a tower for Battery 233. The facility was accepted for service 20 Jun 1944 at a cost of $ 13,853.00. The tower has since collapsed and the concrete BC Station and the CRF Station are on the ground behind the battery.
Part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore on Perdido Key. Open access to all of the Fort McRee area but Battery 233 is locked up so there is normally no internal access to the interior rooms. The interior rooms are currently empty but have significant graffiti. There are drop-offs inside and flashlights should be use inside. Normal access is by boat but it is possible to hike along Perdido Key to the site. The fort is about five miles from the end of the nearest park road. No period guns or mounts in place.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 26 Apr 2013