Battery 155 - Ventura
Battery 155 - Ventura (1943-1944) - Battery 155 - Ventura was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on the beach at Ventura, Ventura County, California. Battery construction started January 1943, was completed July 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 18 Apr 1944 at a cost of $ 9,990.25. Deactivated in 1944. Also known as Battery 2 - Ventura.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm rapid fire guns mounted on mobile marriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts.
Located on a 10 acre site that included some 21 temporary buildings, a rifle range and ammunition magazine. The property was originally obtained from Ventura County on 15 Aug 1942. Units conducted monthly live fire target practice on offshore towed targets.
Property returned to Ventura County on 15 May 1945.
Destroyed, no period guns or carriages in place. Two Panama mounts in the surf.
Visited: 24 Dec 2012