Battery 155 - Rocky Point
Battery 155 - Rocky Point (1942-1944) - Battery 155 - Rocky Point was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Rocky Point, Los Angeles County, California. This Battery was supported from Fort MacArthur. Battery construction started December 1941, was completed September 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 11 Sep 1943 at a cost of $ 19,809.00. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1918MI mobile marriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts. Three Panama mounts were constructed but only two guns were furnished.
No period guns or carriages in place. Panama mounts destroyed and the sites overbuilt with houses.
Visited: 7 Jan 2013