Battery 155 - Odiornes Point
Battery 155 - Odiornes Point (1942-1944) - Battery 155 - Odiornes Point was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort Dearborn (4), Rockingham County, New Hampshire. Battery construction started 8 Apr 1942, was completed 30 Apr 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 8 Jul 1942 at a cost of $ 16,952.34. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with four 155mm M1918MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1918MI Mobile Carriages, emplaced on circular Panama mounts. Four separate 11' by 12' magazine structures were completed on 2 Sep 1942 and turned over for service 18 Nov 1942. The guns and mobile carriages were withdrawn in 1944 as the new World War II batteries came online. The Panama mounts remained in place and can be seen today.
Part of Odiornes Point State Park, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. No period guns in place but the remains of three of the Panama mounts can be seen.
Visited: 21 May 2018, 7 Jun 2012