Battery 155 - Fort Taylor
Battery 155 - Fort Taylor (1940-1944) - Battery 155 - Fort Taylor was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort Taylor (2), Monroe County, Florida. Battery construction started in 1942, was completed and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 4 Mar 1943 at a cost of $ 8,750. Deactivated in 1943.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Key West.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with four 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 Mobile Carriages emplaced on fixed 360 degree circular Panama mounts. Guns #1 and #2 were built into old Battery De Leon. Guns #3 and #4 were built into old Battery Covington. Battery Covington was destroyed in 1943 to make way for the construction of Battery 231 and it is likely that the two 155mm guns emplaced there were relocated to Miami Beach. Battery De Leon was partially demolished in 1943 to make way for Battery 231 and fully removed in 1962. The Panama mounts remained in place and were visible up until it was fully destroyed. Remaining 155mm guns were removed in 1944.
Destroyed, no period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 27 Dec 2009